Jai Alai is called the fastest sport in the world because the players are extremely fast, agile and they play with a small, hard ball called a “pelota” that travels at up to 170 MPH. It’s not the safest sport in the world but it’s definitely exciting. There are a few places to place Jai Alai wagers online but most Jai Alai betting is performed at live venues around the world.
In the United States, Florida is the last remaining state where you can find live Jai Alai betting action. The sport has had a hard time gaining traction around the world but there is still enough interest in the sport to create a small Jai-Alai online betting sites industry.
The good news for serious online sports bettors is that Jai Alai betting websites are listed here and bookmakers don’t set the payoff odds. Instead, the payouts are determined in the same manner as horse racing payouts: by the betting trends of the spectators. This is good because the general public knows very little about Jai Alai betting online compared to other sports. The payoff odds are determined by who the public thinks will win (which is not always the same as who is actually the most likely to win).
Top Jai Alai Gambling Site
Types of Jai Alai Wagers You Can Place
Jai Alai is played with 8 players or teams competing in a round robin tournament format. It’s a sort of king-of-the-hill game where two teams compete and the winner stays on the court to face the next team. Whenever a team loses, that team goes to the back of the line and awaits its turn to hit the court again. The first team to reach 7 points wins.
Due to the tournament format, Jai Alai bets closely resemble bets in horse races. The names of the bets will be familiar to horse bettors but if you’d like a detailed explanation of each bet, read on:
- Win – This is a bet on a single team to take 1st place in the tournament.
- Place – This is a bet on a single team to take either 1st or 2nd place in the tournament. The payoff is the same regardless of whether the team takes 1st or 2nd place.
- Show – This is a bet on a single team to take either 1st, 2nd or 3rd place. Again, it doesn’t matter which place the team takes, as long as it’s in the top 3.
- Quiniela – You pick two teams and win the bet if the two teams finish in 1st and 2nd place. The order in which they place doesn’t matter as long as they take 1st and 2nd place.
- Perfecta – You pick two teams and win if they finish in 1st and 2nd place in the exact order you specify.
- Trifecta – You pick three teams and win if they finish in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the exact order you specify.
- Box Bets – A box bet is a combination of bets that are printed on one ticket. A box bet is to pick three teams and then place a quiniela, perfecta or trifecta wager on every possible combination of teams. For example, a trifecta box bet covers every possible combination of three teams taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. These bets cost more to make but they are easier to win.